Monday, November 22, 2010

SEO Artist in the Making

SEO and internet marketing seems to have taken over my life.  I work a 9-5, take masters internet marketing courses, and am still reading this 550 page book titled 'The Art of SEO' - which feels like its never ending.  Therefore, I wanted to take a little more time to talk about SEO and take a look at meta description tags because that is what I have been writing at work.

Whats a meta description tag you ask?  A meta description tag is the 160 characters Google allows you to describe a webpage in the Search Engine Results Page (SERP's) that is positioned just under the title tag.  According to 'The Art of SEO' meta description tags have three primary purposes:

  • To describe the content of the page accurately 
  • To serve as a short text "advertisement" to click on your pages in the SERP's
  • To display targeted keywords to indicate content to searchers
When writing a meta description tag the single most important aspect of writing it is relevancy.  Your meta description tag must be relevant to the content thats in the page.  This might seem like a no brainer and almost seems brainless for me to point out, but I can't tell you how many times I've seen meta description tags that have no relevance to the webpage they're describing.  The more relevant the meta description tag is to a webpage, the less likely a site visitor will bounce and leave your webpage for someone else's.    

Update on me:  Tomorrow I have my 60 day review, I'll let you all know how it goes.  Wish me luck!

BH


    

No comments:

Post a Comment